We have been become so accustomed to TV preachers that sugarcoat everything or take things out of context, that a Christian needs to switch the ‘looking box’ off and get stuck in the Bible to drown out the filth. If we are looking for good Christian material to read, look no further than books authored by Mr Spurgeon. He was a man who understood his position as a Christian, delighted in GOD’S Word, and sought to strengthen the faith of his hearers.
Often referred to as the ‘Prince of Preachers’, he was a man who never minced his words when it came to his faith. He said himself, â€œI am perhaps vulgar, but it is not intentional, save that I must and will make people listen. My firm conviction is that we have had enough polite preachers.â€
A preacher during the Victorian era, he was a man that offended many, but never flinched from strong preaching.
Below are just a few quotes to give you a taste of his steadfast and strict adherence to GOD’S Word.
- “There is no form of sinfulness to which you are addicted which Christ cannot remove.”
- â€œThe law is meant to lead the sinner to faith in Christ by showing the impossibility of any other way.â€
- “We hear complaints that the minister speaks too harshly and talks too much of judgement. Saved sinners never make that complaint.”
- â€œSelf is the worst enemy a Christian has.â€
- “We shall not grow weary of waiting upon GOD if we remember how long and graciously He once waited for us.”
- â€œYou do not know who the elect are. You do not know whose heart will be broken by the divine hammer of truth. But it is your responsibility to use the divine hammer on the hard heart. And as the Gospel is preached, it will attract to itself, by its own power, through the Holy Spirit, those whom GOD has ordained into eternal life.”
- â€œIt is a good rule never to look into the face of a man in the morning till you have looked into the face of GOD.â€
- â€œBeware of those who say there is no hell and declare new ways to heaven.â€
- â€œThe same sun which melts wax hardens clay. And the same Gospel which melts some persons to repentance hardens others in their sins.â€
- â€œSatan tells me that I am unworthy; but I always was unworthy, and yet You have long loved me; and therefore my unworthiness cannot be a barrier to having fellowship with You now.â€
- â€œYou stand before GOD has if you were Christ, because Christ stood before GOD as if He were you.â€
- â€œThe Scripture does not say ‘Ye must be improved,’ but, ‘Ye must be born again.â€
- â€œIt is not the doctrine of justification that does my heart good, it is Christ, the Justifier.â€
- â€œPrayer and praise are the oars by which a man may row his boat into the deep waters of the knowledge of Christ.â€
- â€œDiscernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right.â€