Sunday, March 11, Mother’s Day — called Mothering Day in the U.K. — can be traced back to ancient pagan practices, but it has gone through a lot of changes to get to what we know today.
The Bible does not command us to dedicate a special day to honour our mothers, nor is there anything in the Bible to condemn it.
Today, people celebrate the day by giving gifts to their mothers, including flowers, chocolates, spa breaks, days out, afternoon teas and thoughtful cards.
Mothers Day Is Not Primarily about Being a Mother and Receiving the Honour, but Thanking God for the Mother He Gave You.
Mothers are a gift from God, and every last person has at least one. So Mother’s Day is really a holiday for everyone, a day for thanking God for his goodness in giving us mothers, and an occasion for letting that gratitude play itself out in tangible expressions of love.
As with all issues not specifically addressed in Scripture, we have the freedom to celebrate or not celebrate Mother’s Day, according to personal preference.
We hope you’ll take some time this weekend to pay respects to your mother—or if that isn’t possible, to somebody in your life who embodies the grace and wisdom we associate with godly mothers.
Here are 26 great Christian quotes about mothers.
- “Mother’s love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Author Unknown
- “If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” – Stevie Wonder
- “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother – Author Unknown
- “Do Not Forsake Your Mother’s Teaching.” – Proverbs 1:7-9
- “A mother – when you’re a child she walks before you to set an example. When you’re a teenager she walks behind you to be there should you need her. When you’re an adult she walks beside you so that as two friends you can enjoy life together.” – Author Unknown
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
- “Everything I am you helped me to be.” – Author Unknown
- “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” – Erich Fromm
- “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.” – Author Unknown
- “The mother’s heart is the child’s schoolroom.” – Henry Ward Beecher, US Congressional clergyman
- “I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars.” – Author Unknown
- “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” – Jill Churchill
- “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” – Victor Hugo
- “A mother is clothed with strength and dignity, laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks her words are wise and she gives instructions with kindness.” – Proverbs
- “Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” – Lin Yutang, Chinese writer
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” – Maya Angelouother’s Day 2017
- “To the world, you are a mother, but to your family, you are the world.” – Author Unknown
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “The sweetest sounds to mortals given are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.” – William Goldsmith Brown
- “A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” – Proverbs 31:30
- “She’s on duty 364 days a year, so when that special Sunday in May rolls around, give Mom her due respect.” – Author Unknown
- “My mother taught me about the power of inspiration and courage, and she did it with a strength and a passion that I wish could be bottled.” – Carly Fiorina
- “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” – Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President
- “She was of the stuff of which great men’s mothers are made. She was indispensable to high generation, hated at tea parties, feared in shops, and loved at crises.” – Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
… we have a small favour to ask. Hundreds of people are turning to Godinterest for open, independent, quality devotionals every day, and readers in over 50 countries around the world have subscribed to us. In these perilous times, a truth-seeking ministry like Godinterest is essential. We have no shareholders or billionaire owners, meaning our writing is free from commercial and political influence – this makes us different. When it’s never been more important, support Godinterest from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you.