We live in a time of political polarization and while parts of the world have experienced random violence against civilians for years, it seems agenda-driven mass violence—terrorism—has touched the U.S. and UK in this generation more than ever in our history. Some even say we’ve entered
“The age of terrorism.”
Well, whether this is an age of terrorism or not, we certainly are a generation terrorized.
But love your enemies? Come on. How on earth can you love someone that keeps sinning against you? Easier said than done right. With this current atmosphere of terror, Jesus’ command to love our enemies is baffling and something we all struggle with at times.
That is why you must rely on the Holy Spirit because that coworker, family member, bad friend, or boss probably has never seen a true Christian and you’re probably the only one who can share the gospel message with them. We must remain calm and forgive.
Here’s a look at 28 quotes (largely attributed to the holy-bible) that will inspire the way you live your faith.
- “Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.” ― Steve Maraboli
- “Loving and forgiving your enemies doesn’t take away or downplay the importance of actively resisting evil, corruption, and oppression.” ― Unknown
- “We must still seek justice, defend truth, march in solidarity for those who are mistreated, protest against the wickedness and even oppose government authorities and actions if they contradict the teachings of Jesus ― it’s just that everything we do must be rooted in love.” – Unknown
- “When you are loving your enemies it helps you conform to the image of Christ.” – Unknown
- “Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” ― Luke 6:28
- “It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.” – Unknown
- “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” ― Matthew 7:12
- “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.” ― 1 John 4:7
- “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly Do not be wise in your own estimation.” – Romans 12:14-21
- “If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; For you will heap burning coals on his head, And the LORD will reward you.” – Proverbs 25:21-22
- “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most-High; for He, Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.” ― Luke 6:35
- “The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.” ― G.K. Chesterton
- “Let all that you do be done in love.” ― 1 Corinthians 16:14
- “As Jesus was being ruthlessly murdered, He gathered up the very last of His physical strength to utter the words “Father, forgive them …” ― Luke 23:34
- “Let love be without hypocrisy Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord.” ― Romans 12:9-11
- “Love transforms not just our enemies, but it transforms us—making us more Christ-like.” – Proverbs 20:22
- “It is only once you see the baffled expression on the face of your enemy when you give his cruel words a warm smile that you’ll understand, truly understand, what love is all about.” ― Vironika Tugaleva
- “Do not say, “I will repay evil”; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you.” ― Proverbs 20:22
- “But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.” ― Matthew 24:13
- “It’s also vitally important to recognize that our war isn’t just carnal, but rather spiritual, and in spiritual warfare, love is the ultimate weapon against Satan.” ― Unknown
- “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” ― Acts: 7:60
- “Touch your enemies’ heart with love. It will bloom flowers of gratitude and joy.” ― Debasish Mridha
- “It’s not about going around trying to stir up trouble. As long as you’re honest and you articulate what you believe to be true, somebody somewhere will become your enemy whether you like it or not.”
― Criss Jami
- “When you see a person acting violently, ask yourself whether he knows how powerful he is. If he knew his power, would he feel the need to assert it?” ― Vironika Tugaleva
- “Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
- “May God help us to forgive and love generously ― even in the face of death.” ― Unknown
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.”
- “The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Love someone. Share wisdom. Get passionate about something. Promote others. Bring an idea to life. Create, make, do. Rinse, repeat. And watch the world change.