We are taught in proverbs to regard silence as golden, asked to practice it from childhood and at school, and how to use it to evade uncomfortable situations – and then resent it when used against us. Or is it what should come when we reach the limits of speech, as a German philosopher contended?
I found this somewhere and it made me think, i’m still learning… And the Bible says:
1. Be silent In the heat of anger – (Proverbs 14:17)
2. Be silent When you don’t have all the facts – (Proverbs 18:13)
3. Be silent When you haven’t verified the story – (Deuteronomy 17:6)
4. Be silent If your words will offend a weaker person – (1 Corinthians 8:11)
5. Be silent When it is time to listen – (Proverbs 13:1)
6. Be silent When you are tempted to make light of holy things – (Ecclesiastes 5:2)
7. Be silent When you are tempted to joke about sin – (Proverbs 14:9)
8. Be silent If you would be ashamed of your words later – (Proverbs 8:8)
9. Be silent If your words would convey the wrong impression – (Proverbs 17:27)
10. Be silent If the issue is none of your business – (Proverbs 14:10)
11. Be silent When you are tempted to tell an outright lie – (Proverbs 4:24)
12. Be silent If your words will damage someone else’s reputation – (Proverbs 16:27)
13. Be silent If your words will damage a friendship – (Proverbs 16:28)
14. Be silent When you are feeling critical – (James 3:9)
15. Be silent If you can’t say it without screaming it – (Proverbs 25:28)
16. Be silent If your words will be a poor reflection of the Lord or your friends and family – (1 Peter 2:21-23)
17. Be silent If you may have to eat your words later – (Proverbs 18:21)
18. Be silent If you have already said it more than one time – (Proverbs 19:13)
19. Be silent When you are tempted to flatter a wicked person – (Proverbs 24:24)
20. Be silent When you are supposed to be working instead – (Proverbs 14:23)
“WHOEVER GUARDS HIS MOUTH AND TONGUE KEEPS HIS SOUL FROM TROUBLES” – (Proverbs 21:23).
And remember wise men speak because they have something to say, but fools because they have to say something. Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with us forever. Amen.