We are taught in proverbs to regard silence as golden, asked to practice it from childhood and at school, and how to use it to evade uncomfortable situations â€” and then resent it when used against us. Or is it what should come when we reach the limits of speech, as a German philosopher contended?
I found this somewhere and it made me think, i’m still learning… And the Bible says:
1. Â Be silent In the heat of anger – (Proverbs 14:17)
2. Â Be silent When you don’t Â have all the facts – (Proverbs 18:13)
3. Â Be silent When you Â haven’t verified the story – (Deuteronomy 17:6)
4. Â Be silent If your words Â will offend a weaker Â person – (1 Corinthians 8:11)
5. Â Be silent When it is time to listen – (Proverbs 13:1)
6. Â Be silent When you are tempted to make light of holy things – (Ecclesiastes 5:2)
7. Â Be silent When you are tempted to joke about sin – (Proverbs 14:9)
8. Â Be silent If you would be ashamed of your words later – (Proverbs 8:8)
9. Â Be silent If your words would convey the wrong impression – (Proverbs 17:27)
10. Be silent If the issue is none of your business – (Proverbs 14:10)
11. Be silent When you are tempted to tell an outright lie – (Proverbs 4:24)
12. Be silent If your words will damage someone else’s reputation – (Proverbs 16:27)
13. Be silent If your words will damage a friendship – (Proverbs 16:28)
14. Be silent When you are feeling critical – (James 3:9)
15. Be silent If you can’t say it without screaming it – (Proverbs 25:28)
16. Be silent If your words will be a poor reflection of the Lord or your friends and family – (1 Peter 2:21-23)
17. Be silent If you may have to eat your words later – (Proverbs 18:21)
18. Be silent If you have already said it more than one time Â – (Proverbs 19:13)
19. Be silent When you are tempted to flatter a wicked person – (Proverbs 24:24)
20. Be silent When you are supposed to be working instead Â – (Proverbs 14:23)
“WHOEVER GUARDS HIS MOUTH AND TONGUE KEEPS HIS SOUL FROM TROUBLES” – (Proverbs 21:23).
And remember Â wise men speak because they have something to say, but fools because they have to say something. Â Â Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with us forever. Amen.